Commercial construction is a very lucrative industry to be in. However, that doesn’t mean it’s easy and any builder with experience can tell you that there are plenty of headaches that come along with the work. You can do your best to prepare but they will come and when it does happen, you want to not only be prepared but be able to produce high-quality work on time and on budget. When you are going to rent a crane, schedule concrete or anything else, make sure you are hiring a team that will compliment yours. Here are some tips to make sure the project runs as smoothly as possible:
- Subcontractors will make or break you: When you need to rent a crane, hire an electrician, plumber or any other subcontractors, make sure that you are getting the best. Price is a factor but remember you are not going to save money if the work is done incorrectly. Hire a team that will get the job done and make things easier on you.
- The weather will be a factor: When you are working in Virginia you have to be aware of the weather. Some months we are avoiding hurricanes while others are meant with snow or rain. Regardless of the time of year, be prepared to have some delays caused by weather.
- Keep it in writing: Even if you have a great relationship with the owner or whoever is in charge of this project, make sure that you get everything in writing. Even if you have the conversation face to face or over the phone, write an email recapping the conversation and send it to them. This ensures you have everything in writing.
- Keep organized: You do not want to use your truck as a file cabinet. When it comes to commercial construction you can bet that your client is going to be keeping track of every email, receipt, document and everything else they can. They have to and so do you.
- Give yourself time: Delays will happen, whether they are due to equipment malfunctions, bad weather or something else. Make sure that you are giving yourself plenty of time to complete tasks so that you are not rushing to get it done faster.
As you take on more commercial construction projects, make sure that you are getting the work done on time without going over your budget. It doesn’t matter how big or small the job is, if you do the work well then it will be a positive reflection of your business for years to come.